Boris Malyugin has made significant contributions to the development of ophthalmic surgery.
- new methods for cataract extraction and intraocular correction in complicated cases;
- the design of several original microsurgical instruments;
- new intraocular lens designs;
- phakic intraocular lenses for high refractive error correction;
- microendoscopy in ophthalmic surgery;
- techniques for lens dislocation management;
- tissue-saving technologies for corneal transplantation;
- femtosecond lasers in corneal and cataract surgery;
- genetics of corneal pathologies (keratoconus, Fuchs corneal endothelial dystrophy).
A number of Prof. Malyugin’ accomplishments have become well-known not only in Russia, but also worldwide. In this connection, the Malyugin pupil expansion ring and Malyugin modified capsular tension ring are of particular significance. In addition to authoring over 300 scientific papers published in Russian and English language journals, Prof. Malyugin has contributed to a number of book chapters and video atlases on ophthalmic surgery. Prof. Malyugin regularly delivers scientific presentations and lectures at leading ophthalmic congresses both in Russia and abroad.
Prof. Malyugin is Editor-in-Chief of the Fyodorov Journal of Ophthalmic Surgery (Oftalmokhirurgia) and Modern Technologies in Ophthalmology, Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the journal New Achievements in Ophthalmology, as well as serving as a member of the Editorial Boards of a number of Russian journals, including Mir Oftalmologii (World of Ophthalmology), Russian Pediatric Ophthalmology (Rossiiskaya Pediatricheskaya Oftal’mologiya), Ophthalmology in Russia.
In addition, he is a member of the Editorial Boards of several international journals including the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, EuroTimes, EyeWorld, Ophthalmology Times, The Ophthalmologist, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. Boris Malyugin is an Associate Editor of the online journal Frontiers in Ophthalmology.
Prof. Malyugin regularly reviews scientific manuscripts for the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Middle East and African Journal of Ophthalmology and several other journals.